A sophisticated fleet demanding high levels of proactive technical support
"Allied Bakeries operates 756 trucks, plus 180 trailers, and has a Michelin-only policy. All the fleet management team come from technical backgrounds; our maintenance is in-house and we’re very experienced at tyre management.
Conversations with suppliers begin at a high level; we assume a huge amount of knowledge on their part and we expect them to 'keep up'. We have regular reviews where they present actual performance versus Key Performance Indicators and answer penetrating questions from an informed base; ATS Euromaster has no problem with this.
They're quite willing to be on-site at 3am weighing every axle on a vehicle and advising on tyre pressures, we’ve had technically advanced discussions about rolling resistance, they’ve contributed to our training programme and helped measure tyre pressure targets for depots.
We get excellent service from a technically strong supplier, which was a critical factor in the decision to renew the contract."
Chris Davies, National Fleet Engineer
Allied Bakeries is home to brands like Sunblest, Allinson, Burgen, Kingsmill and others. It operates from 18 UK locations and makes 51,000 deliveries involving approximately 1.26 million baskets of product to 10,000 customers every seven days. There are two fleets: 110 vehicles (mainly 38 tonne artics) delivering between depots; 646 vehicles ranging from 7.5 tonners to 38 tonne artics delivering to multiples and independents. The fleet has high levels of driver training and sophisticated management.
Allied Bakeries' technically skilled fleet management team admits it is 'demanding' it constantly pushes the boundaries of technical performance itself, and expects suppliers to support this.
The fleet is run extremely efficiently and downtime is ruthlessly managed-out, an area in which ATS Euromaster has contributed.
Tyre pressure measurement is taken seriously; depots are required to ensure that vehicles fall permanently within a 10% margin of error on target pressures and ATS Euromaster supports this through monthly Electronic Data Capture (EDC2) tyre inspections; problems are remedied quickly. The focus on pressures is designed to reduce fuel consumption and increase tyre life.
The fleet requires 24/7 roadside rapid response, management reports on demand and a supplier which understands its business and supports long term objectives flexibly, proactively and creatively.
ATS Euromaster's Approach
ATS Euromaster helped Allied Bakeries to reduce downtime, and improve tyre life, tyre pressure management and tyre husbandry. All the tools in the ATS Euromaster armoury are brought to bear on this customer, from Michelin's Four Lives programme (to extend the life of a tyre casing on drive axles and trailers) through to 24/7 rapid response capability. ATS Euromaster provides a strategic level of consultancy, support and service provision for Allied Bakeries to ensure that one of the most professionally managed fleets in the business maintains its well-earned reputation for quality and reliability.
ATS Euromaster's Solution
Space does not allow anything like a full description of the service levels required to meet this sophisticated customer's requirements. However, it includes:
- The Michelin Four Lives programme.
- 24/7 rapid response capability.
- Bi-Monthly Electronic Data Capture (EDC2) inspections - with proactive remedial work to rectify any service issues identified.
- Regular management reports.
- Support for employee training programmes.
- Support for an intensive tyre pressure management programme to help reduce fuel consumption and improve longevity.
- Support for confidential programmes in areas such as rolling resistance.
- Regular reviews with the customer’s management team, measuring actual performance against Key Performance Indicators and answering in-depth questions.
- Flexible response to a customer which has a declared wish for a 'creative and responsive' tyre management programme rather than a 'tick box' approach.
- Allied Bakeries renewed a three year agreement with ATS Euromaster and Michelin in 2011.