Russia's Vitaly Petrov took out his Caterham Formula One car for the first time this week in Barcelona, as part of pre-season testing involving new Pirelli tyres.
This was the driver's first time out since joining Caterham for the new season.
After being released by Renault following two seasons with its Lotus marque, the 27-year-old look like he would not be involved in this year's championship.
However, on Friday, Caterham confirmed that he would be joining the team, in the place of 37-year-old Jarno Trulli.
Team principal Tony Fernandes said: "We are all delighted to welcome Vitaly into our team and are very excited about the role he will play in helping us take the next steps forward in 2012 and for many years to come."
Trulli is now without a place on the grid, but the Italian, who previously raced for Minardi, Renault and Toyota before joining Lotus and Caterham, said that there are many opportunities outside of F1.
Petrov added that he had been training hard during the winter to stay in shape, and is ready to get back in the cockpit.
"From what I have seen already, our new car is another good step forward from 2011 and now I cannot wait to see how it feels when we get to Barcelona," he said.