Homologated tyres are those that have been approved directly via a manufacturer. These tyres are ones that have met the standards and regulatory requirements of the manufacturer.
The energy lost when a tyre is in motion is known as 'rolling resistance'. This has a direct impact on fuel consumption.
A tyre's rolling resistance score ranges from A to G. Over the life of the tyre, fitting an A rated tyre could save you up to 6 litres of fuel when compared to a G rated tyre.
A tyre's wet grip capacity is expressed in Grades from A to G.
The difference in braking distances between each grade is roughly 3m - an average car length. This makes average stopping distance between an A and G rated tyre 18m. That's 4 car lengths.
The exterior noise grade of a tyre is expressed in decibels - accompanied by one, two or three sound waves, with one wave being the best noise level performance.
To achieve the best grade, a tyre’s noise level must be at least 3dB under the legal limit set by the EU.
The Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 is a winter tyre that delivers outstanding snow traction.
- Shorter braking distances on snow
- Extra grip on winter roads
- Improved handling
- High aquaplaning resistance
Features and Benefits
Shorter braking distances on snow
- Benefit from shorter braking distances when it matters most due to Goodyear's 3D-BIS Technology. This interlocking block system helps deliver excellent braking distances on snow that are one meter shorter than the average performance of competitors' winter tyres.*
Extra grip on winter roads
- The Ultra Grip 8 provides confident grip in all cold-weather conditions. The winter tread compound maintains high grip levels at temperatures below 7 °C. The compound is long-wearing to give you extra mileage from your winter tyres.
- Goodyear's 3D BIS Technology improves handling in unpredictable winter weather - from wet and dry roads, to ice, snow and slush. The optimized tyre shape puts more rubber in contact with the road, increasing control in slippery conditions. The UltraGrip 8 maintains handling performance even as the tyre wears, thanks to a next generation V-tread design.
High aquaplaning resistance
- The UltraGrip 8 reduces the risk of aquaplaning on slushy or wet roads. A double V-groove - one groove for evacuating water and one for gripping snow - ensures good control in wet and thawing conditions. When tested against competitors' tyres, the UltraGrip 8 offered 16% better resistance to aquaplaning on curved roads.**
*UltraGrip 8 delivered 3% shorter braking distances when compared to the average performance of two leading competitors. Braking distances on snow from 50km/h to 5km/h tested by TÜV SÜD Automotive in December 2010; Tyre Size: 205/55R16 91H; Test Car: VW Golf VI; Location: Ivalo, Finland; report # 76244609
** Compared to the average performance of two leading competitors. Tested by TÜV SÜD Automotive in December 2010; Tyre Size: 205/55R16 91H; Test Car: VW Golf VI; location: Ivalo, Finland and Montpelier Ice Rink, Mireval, France; Report # 76244609