Homologated tyres are those that have been approved directly via a manufacturer. These tyres are ones that have met the standards and regulatory requirements of the manufacturer.
The energy lost when a tyre is in motion is known as 'rolling resistance'. This has a direct impact on fuel consumption.
A tyre's rolling resistance score ranges from A to G. Over the life of the tyre, fitting an A rated tyre could save you up to 6 litres of fuel when compared to a G rated tyre.
A tyre's wet grip capacity is expressed in Grades from A to G.
The difference in braking distances between each grade is roughly 3m - an average car length. This makes average stopping distance between an A and G rated tyre 18m. That's 4 car lengths.
The exterior noise grade of a tyre is expressed in decibels - accompanied by one, two or three sound waves, with one wave being the best noise level performance.
To achieve the best grade, a tyre’s noise level must be at least 3dB under the legal limit set by the EU.
The Avon Ice Touring tyre is a premium winter tyre engineered for cold weather road conditions.
The rubber compound is specially formulated with a high silica content for superb road holding.
Silica not only gives extra traction on wet and snow-covered surfaces, it's also very resistant to cold temperatures; this is important to keep the tread blocks flexible enough to provide optimum roadholding and to clear snow from between the grooves.
Towards its outward-facing edge the Ice Touring features Avon's patented 'Snow Groove'.
This circumferential groove is serrated on its inner surfaces for extra traction on snowy roads.
Meanwhile, the innermost two rows of tread blocks feature 'rectalinear' sipes that also aid traction and help to rid the tread pattern of unwanted build-up of snow in its grooves.
Features and Benefits
- Excellent traction in winter conditions - snow, ice, slush, mud and wet
- Superb road holding in all winter conditions thanks to special rubber formulation
- First-rate braking performance on slippery surfaces
- Ideally suited to rural drivers who need to stay mobile
- Broad range of sizes to fit many types of car
- Marked with 'Severe Snow Conditions' symbol
- High silica content for extra traction in the wet and cold
- Features Avon's patented 'Snow Groove' for grip in the snow