ATS EUROMASTER TAX STRATEGY AND POLICIES
Compliance with the Law
- The primary responsibility of ATS Euromaster in relation to taxation is to ensure compliance with all legal obligations within a framework of agreed principles. The Company must therefore be satisfied that any tax initiative undertaken by it is legal. If any of the principles expressed herein conflict with UK laws, as overridden by any relevant tax treaties, the UK local law takes precedence in terms of how the department will operate.
Strategy and Planning
- ATS Euromaster will always seek to interpret tax legislation consistently with both the spirit and intention of the law and will not seek to exploit ambiguity.
- The Company will not undertake transactions wholly motivated by tax avoidance or from which there is no economic benefit to the Company other than tax savings.
- Management shall not seek to exploit tax regimes considered to be harmful or secretive.
- Minimising ATS Euromaster’s tax liabilities by recognising appropriate legislative concessions and reliefs is of benefit to customers (through lower bills) and shareholders.
- The Company’s tax strategy and policies seek to make use of such appropriate reliefs and to control the Company’s tax costs.
- Whilst seeking to minimise tax liabilities for the benefit of customers and shareholders, the Company’s policy is not to take an aggressive interpretation of tax legislation or use artificial tax avoidance schemes.
- It is the policy of the ATS Euromaster that it is ensured that all tax positions taken are consistent with the Company’s core values which notably include respect for all relevant facts, respect for the environment and respect for people.
- The Company should comply with documented policies and procedures in relation to tax risk management and should conduct risk assessments before entering into any new initiatives. Where appropriate, based on Management’s judgment, this should include obtaining external professional opinions to verify and support the Company’s conclusions.
- Tax is part of the Finance function of ATS Euromaster and is the ultimate responsibility of the Michelin Group’s Director of Finance, who is responsible for the Group’s tax strategy and policies. In the UK tax strategy and policies are reviewed on an on-going basis at company board level.
- Day-to-day tax matters are delegated to a team of qualified in house professionals.
Awareness of reputation and relations with tax authorities:
- ATS Euromaster values having good relations with tax authorities. Therefore pro-active and transparent communication with tax authorities is maintained at country level to ensure that all information reporting required under taxation laws is readily available on a timely basis.
Wider Contribution to the UK Economy
- To form a full view of ATS Euromaster’s tax contribution to the UK economy in a proper perspective, its overall fiscal and economic contribution should be taken into account.
- While the reporting of companies’ tax affairs most commonly focuses on Corporation Tax, other taxes, duties and contributions to the UK government are also paid by ATS Euromaster. Examples are Employers’ National Insurance contributions, the Apprenticeship Levy, Business Rates, Customs Duty and Fuel Duty.
- We are a significant trader generating Government Revenues from Value Added Tax.
- We are a significant employer generating government revenues form Income Taxes and consumer spending by employees.