How to change wiper blades on a car
Do you know how often your wiper blades need changing? On average, you should replace them every year. This is unless they aren’t functioning properly; then you should replace them as soon as possible.
The part of your wipers that come into contact with the windscreen is made out of rubber, which wears away easily. They may need to be changed more frequently if you experience regular, harsh weather conditions.
How to tell when your blades need replacing
Change your wipers if they leave the windscreen wet or dirty and they aren’t doing a thorough job of cleaning. The blades shouldn’t be carrying dirt across the screen after every wipe, because that defeats the whole point of having them.
It’s important that they clear your screen properly during heavy rain or snowfall so your view isn’t obstructed.
Additionally, your wipers also shouldn’t judder when moving across the screen.
If you seem to be having any of these issues with your blades, it’s time to replace them.
Replacing the wipers
We recommend that you change the whole wiper – both the rubber and metal parts. While it is possible to buy just the rubber part and replace it once it’s worn, it’s tricky to find the right size and it’s fiddly to attach. Plus, you won’t know for sure if it’s just the rubber part of the wiper that’s causing the issue. It’ll make your life a whole lot easier to replace the whole thing.
There are many different types and sizes of wipers, so it can be confusing knowing how to find the right ones that are suitable for your vehicle. But don’t worry – there are a few easy ways you can find out.
- Contact your vehicle manufacturer. They should be able to advise you on the correct blades you’ll need for your car. Just tell them your vehicle’s make and model.
- Take a look at your manufacturer’s handbook. All the details about the correct size and type for your vehicle will be in here.
- Come into ATS Euromaster. One of our experts can provide a free fitting for your wiper blades when you book online. We replace your wiper blades to the same quality as the originals, or to an even higher standard.
Once you’ve managed to find the correct wipers, you’ll be glad to know that fitting them yourself is easy. It should take around 15 minutes the first time, but once you’re a pro, it’ll be even faster.
How to fit wiper blades
Remove the blades
1. Lift the wiper away from the windshield. You should see a small release tab underneath the blade.
2. Press the tab and pull the blade down.
3. Now turn the blade so that it’s parallel to the arm and lift it off; it should slide out easily.
Replace the blades
1. Hold the new blade parallel to the arm and push it into the slot.
2. Once it’s in, turn the blade so that it’s perpendicular.
3. Lock the wiper blade in place by lifting it upwards slightly.
4. To ensure it’s locked into place, you should hear a click, or it should feel like it’s firmly in place.
It’s safe to just double check that your new wipers are locked in properly. You can do this by testing them out with windscreen wiper fluid. Squirt some wiper fluid on your windscreen and see if your blades clean them properly, without smudging the screen or leaving any gaps. They should glide effortlessly without any juddering.